As part of its strategic plans to expand its multi-speciality hospital network in the country, especially in the north-western region, the Apollo Hospitals Group initiated the establishment of a multi-speciality tertiary care hospital in Ahmedabad sometime in the mid-nineties. Project implementation commenced in 1998 based on designs drawn up by Stone Marracini Patterson (SMP) Architects, a healthcare design consultancy firm based in San Francisco, USA. Unfortunately, this design had to be abandoned due to non-conformance with Vaastu Shastra principles of design. Fresh architectural designs were drawn up by Apollo’s in-house design team, strictly adhering to Vaastu principles. Construction resumed based on the new design. Larsen & Toubro, the principal contractors of the project, completed the construction in April, 2003. The hospital was formally inaugurated on 11th May, 2003.
With a total investment of INR 1310.00 million (US $ 30.00 million approx.) and covering a total built-up area of 300,000.00 sqft on a site measuring 10.00 acres, Apollo Hospitals, Ahmedabad, is the first quarternary-care hospital in Gujarat, providing research facilities in addition to tertiary-care medical facilities. Designed to accommodate 400 in-patient beds, the hospital provides healthcare services in 52 medical specialities including Cardiology, Cardio-thoracic Surgery, Neurology, Nephrology, Oncology, Hepatology, Orthopaedics, Physiotherapy, etc. It is equipped with latest generation 1.5 Tesla MRI, 64-slice Spiral CT-Scanner with Laser Camera & Auto-Processor, Gamma Camera, Linear Accelerator, Chemotherapy Unit, Dialysis Unit, Cardiac Cath-lab, 7(seven) Operation Theaters supported by 75 critical care beds, a full-fledged Blood Bank, Emergency & Trauma center, well-equipped Birthing Center, Telemedicine Center, 24-hour pharmacy, a helipad to enable air-ambulance service, besides numerous other medical facilities.